Our ALA Emerging Leaders Team

Our ALA Emerging Leaders Team
Team with Immediate Past ALA President Leslie Burger

Monday, February 26, 2007

Let's get started (or am i already behind?)

Hi all!

Some other info to think about and consider. . .

I was a part of the Knowledge River program at University of Arizona's School of Information Resources and Library Sciences. I met with the Executive Director this weekend in terms of program continuing and grant writing details. Program for the last school year had incorporated a high school component in terms of exposing hs students to the library field -- this helped them continue funding from IMLS. I think the next round of IMLS funding might be tied to Laura Bush's iniatives, maybe there will be some way for us to connect with KR scholars at UA library school, implement the camp with collaboration from KR program and scholars? I mentioned this to the director. . . she's open to discussion. Maybe we could come up with a camp based on Laura Bush's initiative "Ready to Read, Ready to Learn" something like Get Ready, Get Set to Inspire NextGen Librarians. . ."

Any thoughts?

Have a good week!!

Jolie
///////////////////////////////////////////////

Loriene Roy wrote:
Hello, quick note,
In terms of a preparing a feasibility study--it would be helpful to
prepare a variety of options and alternatives for a national library camp.
Then, prepare a listing of questions to ask about each of these--location,
length of time, age of participants, etc.
Some of the familiar and academic related camps for young people include:

1. Duke's Talent Identification Program
2. Concordia College (Minnesota) and its language campus
3. National guitar camp

My son attended Duke TIP two years in a row and will be in his second year
at national guitar camp. I attended Concordia's language camp (Spanish)
for 3 years.

Loriene

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, florante ibanez wrote:

Howdy and Aloha,
I noticed that Mario had already added his own bio page and added our
reception pictures to our Emerging Leaders Project Q - Wiki space....

I finally figured out how to do it too.... I'll probably re-write this
when I have more time.....

Can Jolie & Christy add yours too? If you need help please feel free to
ask Mario or myself..... I also added my website and email address.

Anyways I have made a contact (by accident) of a local high school
senior girl interested in Librarianship. I'm thinking we could ask her
about what things she would expect from a National Library Camp. And
while at UCLA today I met a 2nd year student in Info Studies interested
in our project and has experience from when she had attended SPACE CAMP
to offer us. Also while at UCLA, Cindy Mediavilla, who teaches part time
in IS and is also connected/consulting for the California State
Librarian is very interested in our project too..... She suggested
maybe we could perhaps do a "pilot project" Library Camp in California
and ask for funding....

We still need to figure out basic questions like offering maybe ONE big
central camp where students have to fly in to participate ($$$) or maybe
several/few localized camps geographically distributed (but need more
people to organize). Maybe we could build a model - test it as a pilot -
document it and encourage local areas or state chapters to convene their
own each summer?
Anyways it's late and I'm about to leave work now......

I suppose we should be blogging this and adding our comments... but I'll
try to figure that out tommorrow......

Take care - God Bless and Happy V-Day!!!



No comments: